Saturday, August 4, 2007


I met with Katherine and Kalika from Citrus design and had a good meeting. I am anxious to see the result of that. Ere that happens I press on. I spent the better part of Thursday working on user and login registration functionality only to rip it out again in frustration after doing more research no my options. There are several plugins and gems out there that I think bear more research before proceeding, including one which would give us OpenID functionality.
Instead today, triggered by some conversations I had with Katherine and Jerry yesterday. I started working on some analysis of the subject headings. I believe that having some sort of hierarchical view of the collection is critical to our SEO aspirations and I think the subject headings and dates are probably the lowest threshold methodologies to get us there. To that end I produced a table of subject headings and a primitive viewer. It's useful in that it helped me find a few more small problems with the JSON xsl transform I am using and a number of configuations issues that remain with the subject headings, such as lack of a unifying field subject that collects the various specific subject_topic etc. Also the normalizations required to make the heading useful should be improved and more importantly, to follow my latest project mantra, to be made transparent. I am thing right now of a list of regular expressions that can be viewed, maybe a packager of some type as well that can make a collection of transforms that are applied to a given field. It's a nice idea anyway.
I'll have the headings work on the server Monday.

No comments: